Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Getting ready...

The books are all ordered and should be here soon. I've stocked up on more notebook paper, pencils, glue and crayons than should be allowed. I've assessed the inventory of homeschool detritus hiding in the cellar and only have a few more small items to pick up before school starts on Monday.

I haven't cleaned off the full-to-overflowing bookcase in the kitchen yet, but hey, I have time.

I did pick up the last "big" homeschool item today - a seven-drawer thingamajiggy that will henceforth serve as Rachael's new workboxes (an upgrade over last year's five-drawer system.)

Milly made friends with it immediately. Why she felt compelled to dress it in apron, shoes, and Burger King crown is still a mystery.

As you can see, the shelving unit is pretty tall - as Milly is a bit of a giant herself, compared to most 3-1/2-year-olds.

I had actually gone into Big Lots to look for a plastic milk crate or two - the better to store the junk I have yet to clean off of the overflowing homeschool shelf. I quickly realized that I would be better off at Dollar Tree for plastic storage and was just heading toward the exit when I spotted the monster drawers. It was the only one left that had seven shelves, and it practically demanded to come home with us. Since we have more subjects this year than we have in years past, it really will be helpful to have around this year.

Haven't heard of workboxes? Well, here's a blog that explains it fairly well so I don't have to. I'll admit, I haven't bought the ebook that fully explains the creator's vision for workboxes ($21 for an ebook? I don't think so) but I've grasped the concept from what others have shared, and Rachael and I loved using them last year. However, last year they were upstairs in what I considered our school room - out of sight, inconvenient, and ultimately abandoned mid-year. This year, they're more centrally located...in the kitchen. Maybe not the ultimate in kitchen decor, but hey, we're a homeschooling family. There are going to be books everywhere until my last baby is off to college, and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts - not hide it all away for the benefit of no one, since no one that I invite into my home minds looking at our homeschool stuff anyway.


I numbered the drawers this evening, but need to pick up some more velcro dots before my vision will be fulfilled...I'll share more about our system when it's ready to roll. At any rate, I decided that the BK crown was a nice touch, so I let it stay. ;)

Now that we've set a date for our official "first day", I'll admit that I can't wait to get back into our school routine. There's something about a pile of fresh, new, never-read and never-written-in books that I just can't resist. According to my tracking info from ChristianBook.com, tomorrow should be Box Day...I'll be feverishly filling in my lesson plan book for the next couple of weeks once everything arrives, and trying to resist the urge to start before Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment