Thursday, August 12, 2010

Way to go, Erica!

While I'm taking my time typing up the curriculum post...a little food for thought via YouTube. This speech was delivered by Erica Goldson, valedictorian of her class at Coxsackie-Athens High School, on June 25, 2010.

Valedictorian Speaks Out Against (Public) Schooling

It's a little long, and she's (justifiably) a little nervous, but it's worth a listen. I especially enjoyed the part where she admitted, "I cannot say that I am any more intelligent than my peers. I can attest that I am only the best at doing what I am told."

She also reminds her classmates that "we are anything we want to be - but only if we have an educational system that supports us rather than holds us down. A tree can grow, but only if its roots are given a healthy foundation."

This young lady has wonderful insight - from someone so young and so much a part of the system - as to what's wrong with the public education system. And I don't mean to imply that every public school out there is inadequate. But even the best schools aren't without their problems.

Anyway. Just loved Ms. Goldson's speech and wanted to a) share and b) preserve it for future reference.

Thanks to my fellow homeschooler Amanda for sharing the link! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment